Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is the best answer to reducing of unwanted hair anywhere on the body, face, and neck permanently. Unlike shaving, waxing, and other popular hair removal techniques, laser hair removal provides permanent results and eliminate the need for persistent grooming. At our practice, Dr. John Vartanian utilizes state-of-the-art laser and light-based hair removal technologies designed to treat all skin types. Dr. Vartanian has been involved with laser hair removal technologies for almost 20 years. He has been involved in cutting research in the filed of cosmetic lasers and has served as a speaker for a leading laser company. Our experienced laser nurses have been trained by Dr. Vartanian and the respective device manufacturers to deliver safe and effective hair removal results. Our patients have enjoyed laser hair removal success because of the experienced detail-oriented nurses we employ and the use of the best laser and intense light technologies.
- How does Laser Hair Removal Work?
- Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
- The Laser Hair Removal Procedure
- Recovery from Laser Hair Removal
- What to Expect
How does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Laser and intense light based hair removal / reduction is dependent on the concept of selective thermolysis. In selective thermolysis, the light energy of a particular wavelength range is used to selectively damage the hair follicle, while not harming the skin or its pigment. Any laser or light-based device used in hair removal targets the melanin (dark) pigment in the hair. As such, white hairs cannot be effectively treated. We use the latest Palomar Icon™ Aesthetic System. This is one of the best systems available, with high peak powers, state of the art cooling system, built in precise energy calibration, and the Skintel™ reader – the only FDA-cleared skin melanin reader. Each one of these features ensures efficient and successful treatments:
Features of The Palomar Icon™ used in our office delivers better results and more safely than typical laser due a number of advanced features:
- The Skintel™ Melanin Reader™: An advanced device that provides an additional element of treatment confidence by determining the melanin density of skin, in a quantitative manner, prior to treatment. Ensuring safe and customized settings for each patient.
- Power: Delivering a maximum effective energy of over 350 joules – the Palomar Icon is the most powerful laser and optimized light aesthetic platform.
- Advanced Contact CoolingSM: Cooling maintains temperature at a cold 5 degrees Celsius (about 40 degrees Fahrenheit) during treatments for enhanced comfort and skin protection. Adjustable cooling technology keeps epidermal temperature lower to reduce treatment discomfort and maximize skin safety.
- Calibration: New external calibration for optimal performance.
- AccuSpectrumSM: Dual filters minimize unnecessary epidermal exposure, enhancing patient comfort.
- Photon RecyclingSM: Maximizes treatment results by reducing energy loss within the treatment area.
- Smooth PulseSM: Proprietary light delivery system that allows for the usage of greater amounts of energy.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
Men and women who are tired of shaving, plucking, and waxing can achieve smoother skin with laser hair removal. Additionally, this method can save patients considerable time, discomfort, and money over the course of their lifetimes by eliminating the need for razors, waxing, and other services.
Laser hair removal can be used in men and women alike to reduce hair in all body parts. Here are some popular areas for laser hair removal:
- Face and neck
- Bikini areas
- Chest/ nipples
The Laser Hair Removal Procedure
On average, each laser hair removal treatment takes any where from 5 to 60 minutes to complete depending on the area treated. During your treatment, the laser/light energy targets the melanin pigment naturally found in each hair follicle. Once absorbed, the laser energy damages the hair follicle, often preventing any future hair growth. A cooling device built into our device cools the skin diminish and alleviate any discomfort.
During each treatment session, the hair follicles that are in the active growth phase will be affected; however, the follicles that are in the dormant stage will not. As a result, several sessions will be necessary to maximize benefits. Results can vary due to multiple factors like: how hairy the patient is, hormonal factors, location of the hair, color of the hair, and other factors.
Patients are advised to shave or trim very closely the treatment areas one day before, so that treatment area easier to treat for the nurse. A slight stubble is ideal as it allow for the nurse to view the treatment area.
Recovery from Laser Hair Removal
Some redness and irritation in the treated area is normal. These effects should subside within a few hours. You can generally expect to return to your normal activities on the day of your procedure. For the next two weeks, you may notice the treated hair falling from the skin. During this time, you may still see hair stuck in the skin; however, natural skin turn-over will gradually allow the hair to fall out. Dr. Vartanian typically recommends that you keep your treated area covered with an article of clothing or high-SPF sunscreen in the days following your procedure. He also advises to refrain from waxing, banding, or plucking in between treatments. Shaving is allowed since the hair root is left in the skin for effective future laser treatments.
What to Expect
- Length of Time for Procedure? A laser hair removal procedure generally takes about 5-60 minutes. Multiple treatments are necessary for the most effective results.
- Who Performs this Procedure? All laser hair removal procedures are performed by trained nurses who have been trained by Dr Vartanian and certified by the device manufacturers for each particular laser or light-based device.
- What about Recovery? There is typically no downtime associated with this procedure although treatment areas should be protected by clothing or sunscreen in the days following laser hair removal.
- How many sessions will I need? The number of session can vary depending on amount of hair, location of the hair, hormonal influences, and the patient’s ability to grow more hair. For most areas at least 4-5 sessions will be necessary for permanent hair reduction.
- What about Results? Laser hair removal can safely and effectively eliminate undesired hair. Results can be long-lasting and, in many cases, even permanent.
Contact Dr. Vartanian
To learn more about our laser hair removal techniques, or to find out if you are a good candidate for laser hair removal, please contact Dr. Vartanian’s office to schedule a consultation.