Palomar LUX 1540 Fractional Laser
Until now, two varieties of laser treatment were available for cosmetic enhancement: ablative and non-ablative. Traditional ablative lasers, which literally means vaporization at a very high temperature, are often very effective at destroying unwanted tissue, but may have significant side effects and require a lengthy healing period. Non-fractional non-ablative lasers, on the other hand, are very safe and typically require almost no healing time, but may involve numerous treatments over many months to achieve only modest results. The LUX 1540 may be used to treat most body areas, including the face, neck, chest, arms, and hands. The Palomar LUX 1540 laser combines the potency of ablative lasers with the gentle safety of non-ablative lasers to treat a variety of cosmetic conditions.
To schedule a consultation for laser skin renewal, please contact us today.
- What is the Palomar LUX 1540 Fractional Laser Used For?
- How It Works
- What Can I Expect?
- Advantages of the Palomar LUX 1540 Fractional Laser
What is the Palomar LUX 1540 Fractional Laser Used For?
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Acne scarring
- Scar improvement
- Brown spots and other undesired pigmentation
- Melasma (dark-patterned facial pigmentation)
- Skin tightening
- Overall skin quality improvement
How It Works
The Palomar LUX 1540 utilizes fractional resurfacing technology, where hundreds of microscopic, but deep, columns of laser energy are produced. Hence the skin is treated deeply, but without much downtime. This allows the skin to heal much faster than if the entire area were treated at once. The Lux 1540 handpiece also features an advanced built-in cooling system that can make the treatment more comfortable, keeps the skin protected, and minimizes downtime. After treatment, the body’s natural healing process should create new, more organized collagen. The laser’s deep penetrating beams stimulates collagen production in the skin and skin repair mechanisms, which rejuvenates the skin from the inside, smoothing the appearance of wrinkles, scars, pigment, and other problems.
What Can I Expect?
Clinical experience suggests that, on average, the most effective treatment regimen requires 3 to 5 sessions, spaced 3 to 4 weeks apart. Most patients start to see results after the very first treatment. After your final treatment, improvement should progress for several months as your collagen continues to remodel and the skin condition improves.
Palomar LUX 1540 laser treatment is performed using only topical anesthesia (a numbing agent) in most cases. If your skin is more sensitive, we will ensure that you are made comfortable. The topical anesthetic is applied one hour prior to treatment.
The procedure takes approximately 30-40 minutes for a full facial treatment. We then recommend application of ice and daily use of moisturizer with SPF 30 sunscreen. You may apply makeup or shave soon after treatment.
After the treatment, you will experience a mild sunburn sensation for about an hour and then minimal discomfort. The skin will have a pinkish (like sun-exposed skin) tone for 5 to 7 days. This is a normal sign that the skin is healing and recovering. Swelling is common and may last for 2 to 5 days. Flaking and bronzing, which are part of the normal process of skin repair, may also occur and are temporary. Some patients are able to return to routine activities the same day. Others may require a little more time, depending on their skin condition and treatment. It is important to apply a high SPF (SPF 15+) sunscreen daily during the healing phase and for several months afterward to protect the new skin from sun exposure.
Over the following weeks and months, the body repairs the deeper dermal tissues that have been affected by the Palomar LUX 1540 treatment, producing even longer beneficial changes.
Advantages of the Palomar LUX 1540 Fractional Laser
- Deep Penetration for Best Results – The Palomar LUX 1540 microbeams penetrate deeper (up to 1 mm) than other devices. These deep columns of coagulated tissue initiate a natural healing process that accelerates the formation of new, healthy tissue to fill in the damaged treatment zones; the deeper the columns, the more new tissue. Coagulated collagen and cellular debris is expelled as skin is resurfaced. Throughout the process, the integrity of the top layer of skin is maintained, which protects the tissue from infection as it heals.
- High Efficacy, No Downtime – The Palomar LUX 1540 offers greater energy per microbeam than any competing device. With only two or three passes, the handpiece achieves a high density of high-powered, deep penetrating microbeams for the most effective deep corrections and long-term dermal remodeling obtainable. In addition the LUX 1540 delivers uniform microbeam penetration, a consistency that cannot be matched by systems that use a scanning approach.
- Speed and Convenience -The Palomar LUX 1540 does NOT require topical anesthesia, dye application, or an elaborate cooling process, freeing the doctor up to treat with all his/her attention directed to the treatment area.
- Safety and Comfort -The Palomar LUX 1540 protects the skin by delivering microbeams in one short pulse at a time with simultaneous active contact cooling. LUX 1540 treatments are significantly more comfortable than systems that deliver beams over longer periods of time.
Contact Dr. Vartanian
For more information on laser skin renewal, or to find out which one of our laser techniques will be the most effective for your needs, please contact our office today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Vartanian. Our friendly staff will answer all your questions and help you schedule your appointment.